AARRR is the pirate metric! It was set out by Dave McClure - check out the original slide deck that outlines the model.
AARRR stands for:
- Aquisition - gaining new users
- Activation - users signing up or activating their account, obtaining their first value
- Retention - users continue to use the service
- Referral - delighted users spread the word
- Revenue - users create value for your company
Tracking this broad range of metrics is helpful for new startups and established products for identifying where problems may exist. Tracking a series of metrics like this lends itself to a funnel - you’ll always have more users at the top than the bottom. Metabase is a great way of easily creating funnel visualisations.